Limited time offer. Book By 04-21-21
Call or complete form to get this offer!
Hot Deal

Everything That Can Go Wrong with Chimneys

Post by : Admin

02-Apr-2021

If you haven’t had the fireplace or chimney in your house cleaned out in a while, it may be time to consider calling in a chimney sweep. Many people don’t realize that there are quite a few hazards associated with a dirty chimney, and without a regular cleaning schedule, it’s easy for those problems and hazards to start popping up.
In today’s blog, we will discuss the dangers of having a dirty chimney and what you should be doing about it.

Chimney Fires

One of the most dangerous hazards of an unclean chimney is the possibility of a fire starting inside the chimney rather than in the designated fireplace. A fire like this can get out of hand very quickly and can cause a lot of structural damage to your house, as well as possibly be fatal in some scenarios.
Chimney fires start due to the build-up of by-products of burnt wood in the fireplace. As these by-products move up the chimney, they often stick to the sides. The problem is that once they cool down, they form a residue on the chimney walls that is highly flammable. With enough residue, lighting a fire underneath can lead to the chimney burning from the inside and a fire spreading.

chimney smoke

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Another major problem that comes with unclean chimneys is carbon monoxide poisoning. An unclean chimney is more likely to have a blocked path for airflow. Without the proper ventilation inside of the chimney, the carbon monoxide produced by burning wood, gas, or propane has nowhere to go but inside your house. The toxic gas entering your home is very hard to detect as it is odorless and colorless, and elongated exposure to carbon monoxide can be deadly. Even small amounts can lead to organ damage or brain damage.

Respiratory Problems

Fireplaces are often situated in the living room or the lounge. It’s usually an area that will have your entire family sit by it. This makes the possibility of an unclean chimney even worse. The soot and burnt wood particles that float around can make their way out of the fireplace and into your living spaces when the airflow is blocked. Inhaling these can lead to long-term respiratory problems.

The best way to avoid these problems is through professional chimney service. Our team at Creative Masonry and Chimney provide chimney inspections, chimney cleaning services, and chimney repair in CT to prevent these hazards. Contact us today for an inspection and quote.

Contact Us Today!

Call Or Email Today For Prompt Service and Free Estimates!
Price Includes A Safety Inspection!